[sumo] Fwd: Katrina Watts on Akebono

Dale Carlson drc at oz.net
Fri Apr 12 03:11:53 EDT 2024

At 08:54 PM 4/11/2024, Barbara Ann Klein wrote:

Thank you so much, Barbara, for posting this. And
thank you, Katrina for your memories of Akebono. I was just
a fan. You were his friend. My deepest condolences to you, and to his family.

One of the high points of my life was a dinner at
Kirishima's chanko restaurant with both of you, Doreen Simmons,
and a group of Swedish sumo fans. I sat across
from Doreen. By the end of the evening, she was a bit tipsy,
and sang (sort of under her breath) "Have You
Never Been Mellow", the old Olivia Newton John song. She still
had her lovely chorister's voice. She got to the
bottom of the stairs after leaving and realized she'd forgotten her
shoes. Slightly less tipsy, I'd noticed that,
carried them down with me, and handed them to her :)  Seems so long
ago. I miss her. Both of you as well. I hope you're doing well.

OK, I'll stop babbling now. This has been like a
most welcome visit to the "old" sumo mailing list.

Dale