[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - New Makuuchi Gounoyama

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 10:06:21 EDT 2023

>From Moti
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 7:05 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - New Makuuchi Gounoyama
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Gounoyama's side of the story. He went 3-11 against Asanoyama, amid much
shouting by his Oyakata ex-Goueidou. "If you let him catch you, you can't
do anything!! The keiko becomes useless!! " he shouted. At some point
Gounoyama got the message and even won three times. "I can't compare with
Asanoyama's pressure and his sturdiness. Graduallly, I am able to do much
more.." he said. After the keiko, he did some butsugari with large bodied
(190/170) ex- Juryo Asabenkei, after being specifically asked to do so by
Ex-Goueidou. Makuuchi has many large, heavy rikishi and that was a good
preparation for what he will be facing this basho. For four minutes, he
rolled in the sand while "borrowing" Asabenkei's chest. "I received a lot
of advice from the Takasago people and got to train alone against
Asanoyama. I am very thankful.  Am I nervous before my Makuuchi debut? No
time for that.. I can only give it my all. My goal is double-digit wins,"
he summed.

Gounoyama faces a lower ranker at Takasago beya:
[image: 202307020001364-w500_0[1].jpg]

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/281303c6-aca1-412e-a4cc-35b5aad006f3n%40googlegroups.com