[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Asanoyama trains

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 10:04:10 EDT 2023

>From Moti
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 6:42 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Asanoyama trains
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Asanoyama trained at home today against new Juryo Gounoyama and went 11-3
(7 straight wins somewhere in there).  Sharp tachiai, not letting his
opponent keep his distance, thus neutralizing his oshi and winning by
yorikiri was seen a lot. The training dohyo is outside and it was more than
30 degrees centigrade, yet he looked good. "My body is moving well and I'm
feeling good.. I was able to do proper keiko, this heat notwithstanding. I
am happy Gounoyama-zeki came to train with us. I think we were able to
train while stimulating each other.." he said. This was the third time
Gounoyama came to train there after the banzuke was announced. One of those
times, Ouhou joined them as well. "They are both oshi-zumo. Gounoyama comes
from down under. Ouhou can push and go for the belt as well. It was good to
train with types of rikishi that we don't have in our heya.." he added.
Takasago beya is traditionally known for going for the belt. As for the
three Ozeki contenders, two of them (Daieishou and Wakamotoharu) are his
classmates, and he made it to joi before them. "I made it to joi before
them but paid the price for my misdeeds and dropped in the rankings and
have finally returned to where I am now.. I am conscious of my classmates,
age peers, and same generation opponents and I do not want to lose to
them.." he said. Of course, Houshouryuu (0-1) is also a serious opponent.
Asanoyama could be the wall to the three Ozeki contenders. "I'm going for
double-digit wins and will gambarize to win the yusho," he declared.

[image: 202307020000934-w500_2[1].jpg]

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/acb3bfe7-f076-4edd-a382-7a62591b2e51n%40googlegroups.com