<div dir="auto">Moti </div><div><br clear="all"><br clear="all"><div><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr">Best regards,<div dir="auto">Gaijingai </div><div><br></div><div>For of all sad words of tongue or pen,</div><div>The saddest are these:</div><div>It might have been.</div><div>- John Greenleaf Whittier</div></div></div></div></div><div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">---------- Forwarded message ---------<br>From: <strong class="gmail_sendername" dir="auto">Moti Dichne</strong> <span dir="auto"><<a href="mailto:niramiai@gmail.com">niramiai@gmail.com</a>></span><br>Date: Sat, Sep 26, 2026 at 1:14 AM<br>Subject: [Sumo news] - Retirement<br>To: Sumo Newsletter2 <<a href="mailto:sumo-newsletter2@googlegroups.com">sumo-newsletter2@googlegroups.com</a>><br></div><br><br><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"">Celeb club member and heaviest rikishi in sumo (252 kilos) Dewanojou has retired after winning his last bout at Sandanme 67E. Upon returning through the east hanamichi , he was greeted by fellow rikishi from Dewanoumi beya. "My sumo career began with a loss in Jonokuchi. I think it’s a good thing I was able to wrap it up with a win," he said with a smile. He decided to retire as both his body and mind were reaching their limits; he had a history of muscle tears in his right shoulder and chest, as well as ligament damage in his right ankle. "Even with treatment or surgery, there’s a risk of recurrence. I was told I wouldn't fully recover as long as I remained an active rikishi." Last year, his maternal grandfather, Hideo Hayase, passed away at the age of 88. "As his first grandchild, he was my biggest supporter. Losing him affected me deeply. I had felt I was reaching my limit for two or three years, and I realized I couldn't keep relying on the sumo world forever." He hails from Kaminokawa Town in Tochigi Prefecture's Kawachi District and was a first baseman for the baseball team at Mibu High School in Tochigi. A supporter of the Dewanoumi beya—an alumnus of a rival high school—tipped off the then-Oyakata Dekiyama (former Sekiwake Dewanohana) about a "big kid," prompting the Oyakata to scout him at his high school. Although he initially had no interest in professional sumo, his mindset changed after watching the morning keiko on the opening day of the 2012 New Year Tournament. "That’s when I realized how amazing sumo is." He made his professional debut at the Spring Tournament that same year. Fourteen and a half years have passed since then. His highest rank was Makushita 44E. As a tsukebito to Mitakeumi, he played a long-standing role in supporting the heya's star rikishir. "He gave me so many wonderful experiences. I even got to see him win a Makuuchi yusho. To me, he is the coolest sekitori of all." There are many bouts that stand out in his memory. "I faced both Asahifuji and Tanji. The fact that I competed against them while they were on the rise is something I can still talk about to others, even now that I’ve retired."</span>

<p></p>

-- <br>
<br>
--- <br>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sumo Newsletter2" group.<br>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com" target="_blank">sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To view this discussion visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/d4fb9037-f348-4026-99f5-33ce8fe6052cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer" target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/d4fb9037-f348-4026-99f5-33ce8fe6052cn%40googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
</div></div>