<div dir="auto">Moti <br clear="all"><br clear="all"><div><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr">Best regards,<div dir="auto">Gaijingai </div><div><br></div><div>For of all sad words of tongue or pen,</div><div>The saddest are these:</div><div>It might have been.</div><div>- John Greenleaf Whittier</div></div></div></div></div><div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">---------- Forwarded message ---------<br>From: <strong class="gmail_sendername" dir="auto">Moti Dichne</strong> <span dir="auto"><<a href="mailto:niramiai@gmail.com">niramiai@gmail.com</a>></span><br>Date: Mon, Sep 21, 2026 at 9:07 AM<br>Subject: [Sumo news] - Ichiyamamoto, Tamawashi words<br>To: Sumo Newsletter2 <<a href="mailto:sumo-newsletter2@googlegroups.com">sumo-newsletter2@googlegroups.com</a>><br></div><br><br><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"">Tamawashi (41), ranked  Juryo 3E, secured his fifth win, moving his record into positive territory. He defeated Kitanowaka,  Juryo 6W, with a come-from-behind tsukiotoshi. Although he initially forced his opponent back, the situation suddenly turned dire; he found himself leaning precariously backward with his feet on the edge of the dohyo. Just as his opponent aimed for a nodowa, Tamawashi executed a thrust-down with his left hand. "I stayed calm and managed to bring him down at the end," he reflected. After starting the tournament with three consecutive losses, he maded a comeback, winning his last four bouts to reach a 5–4 record. While he acknowledged being happy to have more wins than losses, he remained unsatisfied, stating, "I want to focus on the quality of my sumo." Regarding the day's match, he remarked, "It's good that I won," but after a few seconds of silence, he sternly admonished himself: "That was sloppy!" The come-from-behind victory, achieved through remarkable tenacity, drew a thunderous roar from the crowd at the Kokugikan. "The fact that the crowd got so excited means I did my job properly," he said with satisfaction. This "Ironman" rikishi, who turns 42 in November, gave a sharp retort when asked about fatigue after Day 9: "What are you talking about?" He added, "Even if I were tired, I wouldn't tell you," before leaving the venue.</span><div><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol""><br></span></div><div><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"">Ichiyamamoto  put up a spirited fight despite suffering from a bloodshot left eye today. He faced Shishi. Unable to overpower his opponent with a direct push at the tachiai, the bout turned into an exchange of tsuppari. Although he managed to drive forward by securing an inside grip with his right arm, he was caught by a kot</span><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"">enage throw from the left; he was flipped over and landed flat on his back on the dohyo. His back was caked in dirt, his left eye was intensely bloodshot, and blood was seeping from a scrape at the outer corner of his right eye. With this loss, his record fell to 1–8, sealing a makekoshi for the basho. Reflecting on the match, Ichiyamamoto said, "I couldn't drive him back effectively. That was a situation where I needed to fully secure the inside grip and get in close to decide the match. My grip was too shallow, and I got swung around by his arm-lock throw. Man, I'm tired." Regarding his current struggle to secure a win, he noted, "I was the first in the Makuuchi division to clinch a makekoshi. Usually, being number one is a good thing, but this was the one time I didn't want to be first." When asked about the painful-looking </span><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"">state of his left eye, with the whites now bright red and whether a finger had poked it, he offered a dry laugh and replied, "I just took a lot of blows to the face." [Kazuhiro Masuda</span><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"">]</span><span style="color:rgb(53,60,65);font-family:Inter,-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol""></span></div>

<p></p>

-- <br>
<br>
--- <br>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sumo Newsletter2" group.<br>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com" target="_blank">sumo-newsletter2+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To view this discussion visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/b392f361-f93c-41ae-8f22-035de76dc6d6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer" target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/b392f361-f93c-41ae-8f22-035de76dc6d6n%40googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
</div></div>