[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - YDC soken

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 07:19:19 EDT 2023

Great report from Moti!
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 2, 2023 at 3:10 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - YDC soken
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

For the first time in 4 years the YDC soken was open to the public for free
and held at the Kokugikan. 4000 fans. "Everybody trained well! I'm really
happy that the fans got to finally watch this session- the crowd was really
into it.." declared Yokozuna Terunofuji who did not do any sumo but watched
from the sidelines and was impressed. He did lend his chest to kadoban
Kirishima, though."He seems to be the one closest to becoming Yokozuna. He
looked very good in training today. My knees are much better. As for the
back, I am slowly going through the healing process.. I'd like to be able
to be ready for the basho.." he said. I'm guessing out for Aki, as he
hasn't done any real sumo yet.

Kirishima faced fellow Ozekis Takakeishou and Houshouryuu and others and
was 13-4 . He then borrowed Terunofuji's chest. "I thought it would be good
for me. I am thankful," he said. Takakeishou was 6-6 overall. Houshouryuu
was 7-7, which means that Kirishima had the most bouts amongst the Ozeki.
"I really didn't want to lose even one bout.." he summed.

First time sanyaku Komusubi Nishikigi was there as well. During butsugari,
he injured his right calf. "I think I pulled a muscle. I was doing really
well till today and now this.." he said, dejected. This serious rikishi was
first on the dohyo today as usual and was giving it his all. "It's my first
stint at sanyaku so I'm looking for a kachikoshi and I will be going all
out," he said. By the look of things, he's out as well.

Takakeishou faced the 2 Ozeki, Wakamotoharu and Daieishou- 6-6. He was seen
easily shoving out Daieishou and Houshouryuu at some point. "I was planning
on concentrating on one bout at a time. I don't have a lot of opportunities
to face these guys on the dohyo, so it was a good day," he explained. No
bandages. "I'm totally fine. The knee is not a problem. I hope to be able
to go all out. I think I will be 100% ready. Still, I am coming off an
injury," he said. "I am not thinking about the 2 new Ozeki at all. I just
want to be healthy and stir things up and be in the yusho race for the
fans.. An Ozeki can only hope for a yusho- no special prizes for us. I am
only aiming for the yusho! If I do what I'm capable of doing, the results
will follow, I reckon. If I concentrate and continue to do what I've done
so far there won't be a problem.." he declared.

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/2e297316-6260-42bb-9af1-458fbd91caden%40googlegroups.com