[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Ichinojou interview- part 1

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 07:03:51 EST 2023

Moti
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 1:58 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Ichinojou interview- part 1
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Ichinojou gave a very, very long interview to Nikkan today, speaking about
everything from his coming danpatsushiki to his relationship with his
Oyakata. Short summary:

No regrets about retiring. "I got the yusho right before that, right? So no
regrets. I hope women will also be among those that cut my hair. Not sure
who will do the final cut yet (usually done by the oyakata). Alcohol?
Everyone drinks too much when they're socializing once in a while. I was
even labeled as an 'alcoholic' in a weekly magazine. But I want my fans to
judge for themselves. What's the truth? Even now, I sometimes drink with
friends  but we don't drink too much. I'm going to live in Japan and have a
second life, so I hope you'll continue to support me.'' At the end of the
retirement press conference, the oyakata and Ichinojou turned their backs,
and left in different directions,.which was seen as a sign of the feud.
Immediately after walking out the door, he said he didn't "have any
particular conversations" with his mentor.  According to Minato Oyakata,
since the end of Ichinojou's active career, they have only had contact with
each other through their lawyers. Even now, there is no direct
communication, and the relationship between the two remains distant
However, Ichinojou did not mention the feud with his master. "Sumo raised
me. Sumo makes you tough, strong, and kind. I am where I am today because I
learned a lot through sumo. I still love sumo." When asked about his
feelings toward the Oyakata and his wife, he said, ``It's true that they
took care of me, and I will never forget my feelings of gratitude." He now
has a new goal in life, the hair cutting ceremony, and was smiling as if a
weight had been lifted from his chest.

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/799f10a1-de58-4684-bd81-48a356e0a2dcn%40googlegroups.com