[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Azumaryuu

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 21:55:24 EDT 2023

>From Moti
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 5:24 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Azumaryuu
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Another name we don't see much here- 36 years old Mongolian veteran Juryo
Azumaryuu (1.92, 162 kilos) has showed some of his stuff today at home,
beating Makushita and under rikishi in all 11 bouts. "Compared to the
beginning of June, I'm in much better shape," he said. He will be aiming
for his first kachikoshi in  three bashos this time around. He just had his
first Makuuchi kachikoshi in January and even reached Maegashira 10, but
these last two bashos he was makekoshi. "I injured my knee and my shoulder
and have pains all over the place and couldn't train well," he added. Last
basho he was 2-13 at Juryo 2 and that will surely drop him close to
Makushita. "I did well to get those two wins," he comforted himself.
Still, he's been doing close to 20 training bouts a day, a lot even
compared to how many he used to do when he was younger.  Lately, his
counterparts Kakuryuu, Kagamiou and Kyokushuuhou all retired, but he
intends to soldier on. "I want to go on for as long as I can," he summed.

look out. it's Godzilla!"
[image: 202306210000402-w500_0[1].jpg]

--

---