[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Atamifuji, Nishikifuji

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 05:49:55 EDT 2023

>From Moti
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 3:59 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Atamifuji, Nishikifuji
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Atamifuji is ranked at Juryo 1 and is aiming for a return to Makuuchi. Last
time he was up for one basho in Kyushu 2022 and dropped back down to Juryo.
He had 30 bouts today against Takarafuji and the trainee Mongolian
Ochilseihan (future Sachinofuji). "I'm getting better gradually and am
feeling good. Last basho I was able to move forward well (12-3) and hit
properly. But that's not enough. I need to get an uwate and get my
opponents' mawashi before they do. Thinking that I need to do my own sumo
on a daily basis brings about the results. The banzuke luck was not in my
favor this time so I wasn't promoted. Of course that is my aim this basho!"
he said.

Maegashira 8 Nishikifuji will be entering without doing any sumo training.
He injured his right foot ligament last basho and hasn't returned to his
previous condition yet. "I am entering, so that is no excuse.." he said. He
did train today, but only some tachiai moves, no sumo. "I'm in no shape to
do any sumo. I guess I'll have to wing it.. I considered surgery but i knew
I wouldn't be ready in time, so I did some rehabilitating. I'll try to do
some sumo the next three days and see what's what" he said.

[image: 202307050000522-w500_0[1].jpg]

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/52c72586-bead-4a13-9764-21c3a56082c1n%40googlegroups.com