[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Bulgarian Aoiyama speaks..

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 08:01:48 EST 2023

Excellent story!
>From Moti
Gaijingai

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 3:47 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Bulgarian Aoiyama speaks..
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

His nickname is Daniel. At the Kyushu Basho in November, Aoyama (37,
Kasugano) was ranked Juryo 1 east and had 8 wins and 7 losses, ensuring his
return to Makuuchi next basho.  He had a record of 7 wins and 7 losses
entering the final day, and faced Takahashi, beating him for the
kachikoshi.  Naruto Oyakata (former Ozeki Kotooushuu), also from Bulgaria,
rushed to the dressing room to congratulate him.  Aoyama expressed his
gratitude for the handshake and congratulatory words from his hometown
senior, saying, ``I'm really happy that he made the effort and came all the
way here.'' Those around him know better than himself that he is a valuable
asset that transcends the boundaries of his heya. He had 5 wins and 10
losses in Aki at  Maegashira 14 and fell to Juryo for the first time in 5
years and 10 months. This also meant that the prestigious Kasugano stable
was without a makuuchi wrestler for the first time in 56 years, since the
Aki basho in 1967, He did drop to Juryo once back in January 2018 but
returned after one basho to Makuuchi. It was during that basho that his
heyamate Tochinoshin won the yusho and ex- Tochiouzan was also active.
Currently, Aoiyama is the second oldest Sekitori after Tamawashi, who is 39
years old. Both Tochinoshin and Tochiouzan, with whom he used to practice
intensely at their heya, have retired. Before the fall to Juryo this time,
Aoiyama had revealed his inner feelings. Aoyama: "I know about the history
of the heya. There's pressure. I try not to think about it too much. But if
I'm not thinking about anything, that means I'm not thinking about the
heya. After all, it's history. I don't want the record (Kasugano presence
in Makuuchi) to be interrupted. After all, I am  a sumo wrestler at the
Kasugano stable." He joined sumo in 2009 at the former Tagonoura stable.
However, former Maegashira Kushimaumi his Oyakata suddenly passed away at
the age of 46 in February 2012. In the absence of a successor, he was
forced to transfer heyas, as his was folding. Aoyama: ``Originally, I went
to Kasugano beya for training, and the wife (of the former Tagonoura
Oyakata) told me, ``If possible, I'd like you to go to Kasugano beya. There
are a lot of Sekitori there, and you can become even stronger.'' I'm really
glad I listened to her and  went to Kasugano . If I hadn't gone there,  I
don't know how long I would have stayed in Makuuchi. At the time of the
death of Tagonoura I had only experienced 2 Makuuch bashos. Now I have 70
Makuuchi bashos under my belt. It's been almost 12 years. I am where I am
today because I joined Kasugano.." The actual heya  transfer procedure back
then was unprecedented, and there are actually very few people involved who
knew about it. Aoyama: “I received an envelope from Chairman Kitanoumi (who
took office for the second time at the end of January 2012). It was a
normal sized envelope. It was delivered to everyone (in the former
Tagonoura stable) there. One by one, each rikishi wrote down which heya
they wanted to go to and sent it in. There was no need to consult in
advance about which heya they wanted to go to. Everyone thought they were
going to the Dewanoumi beya. I sent the envelope, and until the
announcement was made the next day, I thought, ``I could feel lonely by
myself.'' Just as I was thinking that, Aozora and Aokishin also chose the
Kasugano stable. I was happy. Out of the eight members, five went to
Dewanoumi  including  Kairyuu, and three of us went to  Kasugano. The
training at Kasugano was tough, but it was the path I chose. I'm glad I
chose it." Up until then, in similar cases when changing heyas, it was
customary for all wrestlers to change their affiliations to one other heya.
It was unusual for the transfer to be divided into multiple heyas and to
respect the wishes of each individual. That's why he couldn't make any
excuses and became attached to the heya. Aoyama: "I really managed to do
great training with Tochinoshin and Tochiouzan. We are almost the same age.
They were born a year later than me, but Tochiouzan was born a bit earlier,
so we were in the same school- grade. I think it's because of those two
that I'm where I am today. That's why I try to lend my chest as much as
possible, even to young wrestlers. As I get older, I suffer a lot of pain,
so I wake up early and do a lot of warm-up exercises." He is known for
training not only the wrestlers from Kasugano, but also wrestlers from
other stables during jungyo  tours. ``Practice is the only way to become
stronger.'' He has now obtained Japanese citizenship. The 37-year-old, who
was born in the Showa era, feels it is his mission to pass on the intense
training methods of  Kasugano beya to the next generation. If he returns to
Makuuchi next basho he will be fighting in the first half and we will once
again see him leaving the shitakubeya in a hurry, saying, ``I have to go
pick up my daughter from kindergarten.'' On November 29, it was announced
that  heyamate Tochimusashi will be returning to Juryo., and will be the
second sekitori at the stable. In the shitakubeya after his last bout on
senshuraku last basho, Aoiyama said:``I want the young people to gambarize
and not give up.'' To those words, Aoiyama added, ``Maybe I should
gambarize as well..'' and smiled. Kasugano beya, whose continuous reign
with at least one  Makuuchi rikishi came to an end last basho, is about to
begin a new chapter in its history.

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/bf45a690-f2b8-4531-80df-f12594076c5fn%40googlegroups.com